Friday, January 1, 2016

Nastar Pineapple Rolls

Everything I make is essentially an experiment. Today's experiment is Nastar Pineapple Rolls.

Handmade by me :)) 

With Chinese New Year around the corner, I see that a lot of online vendors have started taking orders for pineapple rolls. I too, know of a certain someone who is so capable to sell container after container of these rolls during the festive season.

And so I wondered about how these pineapple rolls are made. I did some research online .... and was determined to produce a batch myself! I had all the ingredients on hand - even the pineapple jam! All I had to do was to buy a Nastar mould, which I did. I bought a plastic one.

Bake For Happy Kids had detailed 4 recipes very clearly - and I chose to make the one by Nasi Lemak Lover. I used 100g of butter, 29g of condensed milk, 9g of egg yolk, 145g of flour. I creamed the butter and condensed milk and egg, and then added in the flour. I mixed everything together and refrigerated it.

Then, I rolled the pineapple jam into little rounds. When I was ready, I piped out strips of pastry using the Nastar mould. I placed a ball of pineapple jam in the strip and enclosed it, cutting away the excess pastry.

At first, I merely put the pineapple roll on a lined tray .... later on I put it in a paper cup. The final step is to brush the roll with eggwash and then bake it at 16 minutes at 160 degrees.

I found the pastry to be alright - buttery, and it did not break or crumble easily even without the paper cup. It also looked quite dainty because the mould was considerably small. Overall, I was quite happy with the result. I would really want to make some more pineapple rolls for Chinese New Year - perhaps I'd experiment with other recipes ...............

P/S : Happy New Year 2016 to everyone! Wishing you health, wealth, happiness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...